9/28/15

Microwave breakfast biscuits

During my recent summer session, I found myself living in a kitchen-less dormitory for three weeks, without access to my school's dining hall. Many of my readers are familiar with one of the results of that (the time I made applesauce in my teakettle at 2am), but here's another simple recipe I discovered for an easy, cheap, and delicious breakfast: Bowl biscuits.

Ingredients/supplies:
1 package of Bisquick(TM) complete biscuit mix. You know, the stuff that comes in a $1 pack and makes six biscuits. My local Kroger has it in two different flavors, my local Wal-mart has three.
Butter and/or jam (Optional)
2/3 cup of water (per biscuit- disregard the part of the package that says you're making six biscuits, you're making two giant biscuits.)
Microwavable bowl
Spoon
Hot pads
Microwave (obviously)

Instructions:
1) open biscuit mix and measure out half of it into the microwavable bowl (This is not an exact science). I use a ceramic rice bowl that also doubles as an instant oatmeal bowl (or a matcha tea bowl when I have my life together, which is pretty much never).
2) add 2/3 cup of water, stir until texture is consistent. It should be very thin, lumps are evil- unless you got one of the cheese kinds, in which case some lumps are evil and some are theoretically cheese.
3) disregard warning on package, lick that biscuity battery goodness right off the spoon! Just don't put the spoon in the sink yet, you're not done with it.
4) Microwave for five minutes. No, seriously, five whole minutes. No skimping. If you think it's a bad idea, just watch it cook. Heck, even if you don't think it's a bad idea you should still watch it cook, it's really cool to watch. It's so fluffy...
5) USE THE HOT PADS TO TAKE THE BOWL OUT OF THE MICROWAVE. Remember, you just nuked that thing for five minutes straight. It's hotter than the dudes swimming in lava in Dante's Inferno.
6) (optional) Top with butter and/or jam. If you got either the cheese garlic or three cheese kind you probably shouldn't use jam, but if you do, then that is your bizarre life decision, friend.
7) FEAST. Take that spoon and dig in to that lovely bowl of triple biscuit. It should have a consistency somewhere between sponge cake and biscotti (preferably closer to sponge cake), and be steaming hot and glorious.

One bowl biscuit makes for a very filling breakfast, so one package of Bisquick lasts for two meals. And remember: each package is $1, so each meal is about 50 cents (slightly more if you adorn your biscuit). It's also fun to mix things up a little and use this as a base recipe for something else. Last week I had a little single-serve packet of marinara sauce in my fridge because I'd ordered cheese sticks from the cafe in the student union the day before, so I cut up a hot dog, mixed it into a garlic cheese bowl biscuit, and added the marinara on top. Breakfast pizza bowl biscuits are every bit as amazing as they sound. This is basically the same principle as cake in a mug, only theoretically healthier because it's a biscuit instead of a cake. It's also really easy and really, really good!

Have fun and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Y'all be nice.